How to disable SurfWatch
Recommended method (see also a list of
Download SurfKey and run it on
any Windows machine where SurfWatch is installed. SurfKey
can permanently uninstall SurfWatch without knowing the
Follow these instructions to permanently un-install SurfWatch
from your machine:
SurfWatch will now be disabled on your computer. Reverse all
of the steps above to re-enable it.
- Remove the shortcuts to "SurfWatch" (and possibly
"SurfWatch Updater") from the StartUp folder.
- Open the win.ini file and replace the line
- Run regedit.exe to edit the Windows 95 Registry and
delete the key "GraphicsFilter", which is a subkey of
The value of this key will be "C:\CO_RO_NT\surfctl.exe". Delete it before
- Restart the computer in DOS mode. Move to the
c:\windows\system\ directory and type:
attrib -h -r -s system.drv
attrib -h -r -s net.drv
move system.drv system.bak
move net.drv system.drv
- Type "win" to start Windows again. If it tells you
"Windows is still running one or more MS-DOS based programs..."
try typing "exit".